The Bedford Fire Department received several calls from motorists on Carlisle Road at around 4:30 p.m. Thursday reporting a house fire at 224 Carlisle Road, according to BFD Chief David Grunes.
Upon arrival on scene, firefighters were met by a resident in the driveway, who told responders there were three people still inside the house, according to Grunes.
Grunes and Bedford Police Sgt. Michael Cloutier evacuated one woman from the first floor of the residence, according to BPD.
Once safe outside, the woman told responders she believed there were still two residents inside the house on the second floor, according to Grunes.
After checking for these two residents, firefighters determined the two people on the second floor were not home.
The fire started in a second floor bedroom, according to Grunes, and was ruled unintentional by fire officials.
It took firefighters around 25 minutes to get the fire under control, according to Grunes, in part because the front walk to the residence was not shoveled following the blizzard last weekend and two steps to the front door were broken.
"That's something that we've dealt with before," Grunes said. "After a storm if someone doesn't shovel it takes us longer to get to the residence."
According to Grunes the fire caused approximately $150,000 in property damage, not including damage to the contents of the residence.
Several cats in the house died as a result of the fire, Grunes said.